Sunday, December 7, 2008

1:47!!!!

The race in quick summary: I accomplished my goals of a new PR (by 8 minutes!), breaking 1:50, and pushing myself like never before. I followed the race plan and it worked well. Yay!

The race in graphic detail: I took it easy the first 3 miles, had my first gel, and drank regularly. Kicked up the pace after 3 miles and hovered at target race pace for the next 7. It wasn't easy-peasy but I held the pace without too much trouble...I knew I was pretty far ahead of most of the field as we had thinned out a bit and things weren't crowded. But...I was getting tired. Got to the last 5K and my toe hurt and my legs hurt. But I chose to push through the pain - it was time to learn how to do this! Still I knew my pace was slipping even as I pushed. I saw Jeff in the last 1/4 mile and sprinted on to the finish. I could tell I was queasy as I approached the finish line and looked the nearest volunteer in the eye and told her as I crossed the timing mats. She ushered me over to the side ("let's go right over here where this other nice gentleman is also doing that...") and held my body upright and my hair back while I tossed my cookies (I don't think I thanked her nearly enough for this). I stood up, drank some water and felt fantastic about 2 minutes later!

I stretched, found Jeff, found Andrea who had just finished (and totally rocked her first half with a 1:53!) and then we watched Kirsten finish (she had a new PR by, I think, 9 minutes!) before finding Caryn (another new PR!) and heading back to the hotel to clean up and head for the airport.

I didn't want to feel like I didn't give it my all so puke or not I'm glad I left it all out there today! The results speak for themselves:
Chip Time: 01:47:54
Overall Place: 570 / 11010
Gender Place: 128 / 5706
Division (W30-34) Place: 32 / 1056
Age Grade: 125.7%
Pace: 8:13.8

We're home now, the dogs are thrilled to see us, and I'm off for a round of the Jeff and Molly version of social healing - Mexico Lindo for great food and margaritas!

16 comments:

Viv said...

WOW great PR and wonderful time! Congratulations on meeting and exceeding your goal! Recover well...

The Original MAJ said...

THAT is SPECTACULAR!!! Love it!!!

Clarese said...

Great job! What an accomplishment :)

Stef0115 said...

YES! Thanks for writing this. I'm going to use it for motivation in my own training.

Congratulations this is fabulous!

Elayne said...

You know you've given it your all when you find yourself puking at the finish line. You also know you're a real runner when you don't find that the least bit alarming.

Congrats on smashing that PR!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Molly! SUPER job - congrats on your PR and great race! :)

Alili said...

AWESOME!!! Huge congrats on the HUGE PR! :)

ShirleyPerly said...

CONGRATS!!!

An 8 minute PR is HUGE in a 1/2 marathon. I way to leave it out there on the course, so to speak :-)

Anonymous said...

i would puke too if i had been breathing smoke for two days!! how awesome that your 8mins gain was on a day when you weren't feeling so hot! can't wait to see what you can do when you are at 100% :)

Melissa said...

Great job! I'm impressed you went so hard that you barfed...hardcore! Congratulations on an awesome race.

Sarah said...

Awesome! Congratulations on a great race. I hope I can be that fast one day.

Brandy said...

You are amazing! Great job on that race!

Liz Waterstraat said...

Great run Molly. We knew you had it in you.

Lisa T said...

Yay- great job!

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

Man, sounds like we had similar races... I missed the push till I puke part tho! My leg just wouldn't let me go that hard :-)

BTW - where in AZ is your house??

Anonymous said...

Just catching up on all your news, wow, 8:13 pace, you are amazing, huge congrats