Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Almaden Run Turkey Run 5k

On Thanksgiving morning, I joined a good portion of my extended family as well as many friends at the local turkey trot.  No, not the one in downtown San Jose with over 20,000 people (apparently the largest in the country now?).  I have NO interest in cramming like sardines into a race like that.  The turkey trot down in Almaden is a good size without being ridiculous and there was enough room to RUN.  Plus the course was beautiful, along the Los Alamitos Creek Trail.

The goal for the day was to get my run test done.  After 3 weeks back at training, this was a rest week and I needed to set a baseline for my running heart rate zones/paces for the year.  So after a warmup, I set up at the start line and got ready to make it hurt.

I should draw in an arrow to point out my forehead in the crowd here...





 About a mile in, having just run my fastest mile ever.  Yeah, this hurts.
Sprinting for the finish

 As it turned out, my 2nd mile was my 2nd fastest mile ever.  I held on for the uphill 3rd mile as best I could.  In the end, my 22:10 run was good enough for:
*a 92 second 5k PR!
*2nd in the 30-39 female AG
*3rd woman OA

 Not bad for only 3 weeks back at training.  Hopefully a good sign of the year to come.


Thanks to my mom for coming to the race to take photos!





8 comments:

Christi said...

Great job on your run test. You killed it!

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

Holy smokes that's fast! AWESOME!!

heather said...

Good job! Super fast.

Katie said...

you are the cutest! and holy crap. 22 is vomit territory.

GoBigGreen said...

nice job Molly, now ihope you got some data so that can be your run test, hate to see that on a TM:) ouch!

Meredith said...

Congratulations! Super proud of you and how far you have come. You are a perfect example of hard work and determination paying off. 2013 is going to be a great year for you!

kT said...

Nice job! That finish picture is classic.

Clarese said...

Awesome job!! You are a rock star :)