Monday, May 19, 2014

A Tale of Two Races

I might as well catch up on races first.

In March, a few days before we closed on the house, and 2 days before Jeff moved to Colorado, I raced down in Arizona.  It felt like a comedy of errors that morning...my wetsuit tore a giant hole across my ass when I put it on, the race director allowed the volunteers to play all bible music in transition, and the swim was a giant clusterfuck of panicked people.  However, I felt phenomenal on the bike course that involved climbing over 1000 feet from the lake before turning around and then I felt horrible but went fast on the run that required 500 feet of climbing over the 1.25 miles to the turnaround.  I wound up 4th place woman overall!

Last week I raced here in Colorado, a reverse tri where you start with the run.  The upside is this allows for a pretty good spread of the field early, the downside is it's damn hard to jump in the water and swim after redlining it for an hour and barely being able to breathe.  I had my best 5k run at altitude and threw down the fastest run in my AG, then followed it up with one of my strongest race bikes to date.  The swim...was difficult to start while still panting for air but I finished it stronger than I started it.  Ended up 2nd in AG and 5th woman overall.

Turns out when you are on the pointy end of the field, there are a lot of photos of you.
 


 

When I crossed the finish line I got a rose "as thanks for being a mom."  This is what happens when you race on Mother's Day weekend.


And THIS is how we do post-race recovery in Colorado.




1 comment:

Tea said...

Because.you.are.a.total.stud.