Monday, January 14, 2008

Some days you are the windshield

and some days you are the bug. Welcome to my abbreviated report on running the marathon at Rock n Roll Arizona yesterday.

I'll give you the barebones and let you form the mental picture. Heat. Side stitches. Stomach cramps. Nausea. Vomiting. And that was just the first 8 miles! Still to come were muscle cramps and back pain. Oh and that great part where my belly looked the size of a watermelon because my stomach stopped processing liquids.

In that context, coming in 39 minutes over my goal time doesn't sound so bad, does it? I did such a nice textbook taper and felt so good...I really don't know what happened. If I'd run this distance 3 weeks ago the day I did the 20-miler, I'd have had no problem.

I walked, I ran, I hobbled, I trotted, I walked some more, but I finished the damn thing. I wasn't going to let that get away from me.

Oh well. It's no big deal. It's just a race. The months that went into training and all the good runs I had are the part to be proud of anyway. Now it's time to work on new goals for the new year!

No comments: