Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ironman Arizona: The Run

112 miles gives you a long time to think about how to handle the next step of the race.  When I ran into T2, I knew precisely what I needed in what order and began issuing orders to my nice volunteer (pink shirt first! now the shorts and Body Glide!).  I didn’t notice that she untied my shoes (I had them set to slide my feet in without tying) until it was too late but still…I did manage a 3 minute T2.  In Ironman? That’s pretty good!

And then I was off with just 26.2 miles of foot power between me and the finish line!

125

Telling my peeps that THEY ARE THE BEST!!!

130

I knew that so many people were going to have pushed too hard on the bike and blow up on the marathon.  My plan for the day involved not doing the same.  My bike time may have been slow but it was well paced for my running legs to take off from there.  I headed out on the marathon – OMG, let’s say that again, shall we? THE MARATHON THAT I WAS GOING TO RUN AFTER SWIMMING 2.4 MILES AND BIKING 112 MILES – feeling fantastic.  While I was feeling zippy and carried on the wings of my spectators’ cheers, I knew I needed to dial back the pace early to have legs later so I slowed myself to the planned run pace.  It felt like I was jogging in place, it was so slow.  But I was moving forward – forward IS a pace – and I was passing people left and right. 

~3.5 miles in and happy to see my crew!

137

The first loop of the run course flew by fairly comfortably.  An Ironman run course stocked with spectators is a wonderful thing – with your name on your bib, EVERYONE is saying a little something encouraging, cheering for you, making you smile.  It’s one way to feel like a total rock star.

I was still really happy when I went off on the second loop.  “Just a little 17 mile run from here!”  At no point did my legs ever feel tired, but I had some minor GI issues in the 2nd lap and worked a run/walk strategy (something like walk 2, run 8 and so on) to get through it and let my stomach settle.  Eventually I decided to switch off from taking the Gu gels and find something at the aid stations that would be compatible with my stomach.  Sucking the juice out of orange slices ended up working perfectly.

PB220037

On to the third and final loop and I knew it wasn’t that far to the finish!  I was getting some nice cheers from spectators, encouragement from athletes who were walking and amazed I was holding a strong pace, and more than a few dirty looks from people who had bonked hard.  My spectators said I looked happy and strong throughout and that’s pretty much how I felt.  Even walking, I was power-walking at a fast pace, pushing to get to the next mile marker or aid station and that much closer to the end.  Of course I was also constantly doing the math trying to see when I would finish, if I could make any specific times, etc. 

Even 2 miles out, I wasn’t sure I would make 15 hours.  But I picked up the pace and ran like I only had 2 miles left to finish an Ironman!  No more aid station stops, no more time to thank the spectators, just bust ass to the end McNamara!

When I finally took the turn To Finish Line instead of To 2nd/3rd Loops, I outran 2 girls in the last 1/4 mile to make sure I got to the end by 15 hours.  Around the corner and suddenly from the dark it’s bright lights, cameras, bleachers full of cheering people and there…just up there…the most beautiful sight ever: the finish!  I had the biggest smile, I was too happy to even cry like I thought I would.  This was it – I WAS DOING IT, I HAD DONE IT, I WAS DONE!!!

14239_187088511458_528921458_3594524_5934735_n

4126531863_401ffb9f31_o

17 comments:

beardies3 said...

The finish line is when I really lost it. You had such focus all day. You stuck to the plan. And you finished strongly!!

TriGirl Kate O said...

Molly McNamara, San Jose, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!

So impressed with your run. Way to stick it out, work through your issues, and persevere. Yey!

Unknown said...

I had tears watching that just now! I didn't have that view, so it was great to see.

Again, congratulations; you're such an inspiration to me - but you know that!! I was just telling my brother tonight how when I first knew and you had just ran your first 5K. You've come so far!

Wes said...

Way to go, Iroman! No tears for me either, but that was the way it was meant to be. So so so well deserved :-)

Michelle Simmons said...

Love it!!!! Congrats, Molly. :)

Maggs said...

Congrats! I think I got to the corner by the bridge at just over a mile left right after you passed. I was hoping to see you on the run, but you picked up the pace. You are an Ironman.

SWTrigal said...

Molly-your run amazed me!! how you could manage 10 min miles after all that-I am sooo impressed! I also think you had the most amazing photographer-what a great race report and race. Great job!!! I loved seeing the video of you at the end..

Duane said...

You ARE a rock star!

Maria said...

what a finish, and what a race! way to stay level headed throughout the race, although i'm sure you had plenty of time to freakout and calm yourself time. so....what's next now?! more IMs??

LadyPatsFan said...

Excellent Job! Congrats on your first Ironman race. You are truly an inspiration to all of us.

Thanks for the great race report. And so quickly too!

Anonymous said...

That time is spooky cool.

Diamond Girl said...

That made me cry. So crazy proud of you right now!! AWESOME!

Unknown said...

Congrats on a great race!! I have loved following your journey to IM...thanks for sharing it with us!

The Original MAJ said...

YOU LOOKED AMAZING! How awesome!

Vickie said...

Great job. I enjoyed reading your Iron story.

Jennifer Cunnane said...

YEAH!!!! I have been meaning to read your reports for a long time. YOu rocked the run when so many people die since they blew up on the bike. I hope you are enjoying your off season... when rested up let's catch up about meeting up for Vineman 70.3 next year with the crew!

Sherry said...

Hey Mol, I'm finally making my way back to blogland after waaaaay too much time away. You already know how AMAZING I think you are, but it sure doesn't hurt to repeat! :o) HUGE CONGRATS on your amazing accomplishment. You and Rachelle have single-handedly encouraged me to refocus/rethink and most of all ENJOY!!!! Hugs to you! Hope you are enjoying all of the R&R!!!!