Sunday, February 27, 2011

Stanford Treeathlon Race Report

We got word Saturday morning that this race would definitely be a duathlon. 30-something air temp and 48-50 degree water do not equal a safe combination for anyone to swim and then bike, so I understand the race directors’ decision. I was OK with it as maybe I was a little nervous about freezing myself!

I’m not sure how the turnout for age groupers fared relative to what it would have been with a swim, but the collegiate participation was HUGE. College kids from all over California in attendance and shivering in their little tri suits.

DSC_4164

This was my first duathlon so I took into account everything Coach gave me for a plan and knew I’d be going for broke (and pain) for the duration!

Feeling goofy and excited during warmup

IMG_0694

Jeff got a little blog recognition on the course today. He wasn’t sure how to handle that :-)

DSC_4167

Let’s get this show started!

IMG_0695

Treeathond_0061

As per my instructions I eased into it and then went HARD. I passed a number of women who had taken off ahead of me but then slowed.

2k run, 6:45 pace.

Ow.

Treeathond_0088

Racing to my bike

DSC_4173

T1: 56 seconds.

The bike course was 3 fairly flat loops around the port of Redwood City. It gave me plenty of opportunities to see my spectating peeps while trying to redline it for the duration.

DSC_4189

IMG_0708

20k bike, 18.4 mph pace.

I was pleased with managing a shoeless dismount since I had a long run through transition back to my setup.

DSC_4194

T2: 43 seconds.

And then it was time to hurt some more! As I headed out of transition, my friend Meredith reminded me that running is my favorite part, which apparently cracked me up. Hey legs, pay attention, you’re supposed to like this!

DSC_4199

The second run was hard. On the upside, I was passing a lot of people from previous waves and that kept me pushing myself. I kept my heart rate just *this* side of barfing my guts up. About 1/4 mile from the finish, I gasped my way past Jeff and Nigel and tried to find one more gear.

IMG_0714

I found assistance in the form of the UC Davis tri team, who attempted to cheer one of their own to pass me before the finish.

Treeathond_0257

Nuh-uh, I don’t think so.

DSC_4202

5k run, 7:56 pace.

Treeathond_0262

The end result: 4th place in a tough age group (1st and 2nd in my AG were 1st and 3rd women overall) and 11th woman overall.

Mary placed 1st in her AG for her very first duathlon! Super proud!!

IMG_0716

I am so grateful to Nigel for coming out to cheer and volunteer with traffic direction, Jeff for taking photos and supporting me, Meredith for driving all the way out just to cheer and photograph, and Mary’s husband Gerard for also taking some great photos!

After proper post-race recovery fluids, my reward was a mimosa (or two) at lunch with the guys.

IMG_0717

After the way last season ended at Austin, I’m thrilled to have kicked off this year going hard and fast successfully! I've never put as fast of a run pace down in a race as I did in the 1st run, and I think that's a new high on the bike for me in a race too! Rest day tomorrow and then it’s back to work!

19 comments:

LittleRachet said...

AWESOME!!! Those du's hurt - good job!!!!

Maggs said...

Congrats! I've done one du race before, and that first run hurt sooo much.

mtanner said...

Way to start it off! Yes 2011 is gonna be a good year!

Meredith said...

Awesome job today and congrats to Mary for 1st place in her AG, what a great day!

Anonymous said...

Wow, congrats!! 4th AG is awesome. I'm envious of your run pace :-). what a great way to kick off the season.

Running and living said...

Awesome job and you make it seem easy by looking so good in the pictures!

heather said...

Great job!

ADC said...

Amazing, Molly. You crushed it.

Liz Waterstraat said...

Way to kick off 2011, Molly! Sub 7, can't beat that!!

Elayne said...

Congrats on such a strong race for your first duathlon. It's great to start off the year on a high note.

TriGirl Kate O said...

DAMN girl--11th OA?! You ROCKED IT!

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

Molly - AWESOME race!! I'm so impressed. 6:45pace is AMAZING!!!! way to go :-)

Jennifer Harrison said...

CONGRATS LMM! You look great running in those pics - your form has gotten better!!!! YEAH!!! Fun to race!

Andy said...

Great Finish!

Top 5 in AG is never a bad thing! Hmm, arm warmers to start a race on a cold day. Interesting. I might have to try that. Sounds like you had a great support group for the weekend, and that alwasys seems to lift the spirits :) Rest easy and enjoy the Mimosas. Hope you had a good rest of your weekend!

Beth said...

Great job Molly - congrats!! Dus are so hard - that 2nd run is always killer!!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS Molly!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Shoeless dismount!!! Will you still talk to the regular folks like me?

You looked great in the pictures, very strong.

Wes said...

wha? you didn't barf? EPIC FAIL! ROFLMAO! JUST KIDDING! You are a rock star! way to redline the duration. I don't think I'm woman enough for that. Congratulations!

Kim said...

great job lady!