Wow. I guess rest week flew by quickly. I kept meaning to blog and then felt like I never had enough to say to make up a full post. So some randomness from the week…
- Iron mood swings are not fun. I spent the first part of the week down in the dumps before boosting my spirits with an evening run Tuesday and a kickass run off the bike Wednesday.
- Wednesday’s run, despite being short (only 15 minutes), brought about that wonderful state known as runner’s high. My arms and legs were just swinging smoothly and I felt like I was floating down the sidewalk. I was also going fast (for me) – like sub-8:00/mi fast. Sah-weet!
- My wonderful massage therapist worked out all the tightness in my calves (from Sunday’s long run) and they feel great 2 days later. That is not to say it was pleasant at the time… It also turns out 120 miles in the saddle will leave some knots around the sit bones that make you cringe when they are dealt with. Boy howdy that sure makes me want to get back on the bike.
- Stanley started his new competition agility class last night. And we didn’t totally suck! He’s been rained out a couple weeks so he was extra enthusiastic to be there. He was fast and focused and did surprisingly well on the harder courses!
- I just got my training schedule all the way through IM AZ. I am alternating between excitement and staring at it in dumbfounded shock. Not because any one workout looks intimidating at this point but…this means the race really is coming and I need to get prepared! So many logistics to work out…need to decide when I’m heading to Arizona, when I can fit in a bike tuneup, when I should get new tires, and so on. Also next week still brings a whole lot of work and I need to make sure I end rest week truly rested and ready to go.
- I haven’t done my workout yet for today. I don’t know why I am procrastinating an easy 45-minute spin on the bike, but there you have it. Maybe a nap first?
- Medium-ish brick workout on Saturday (“only” 4 hours of swim-bike-run). I think I am opting for sleeping in and going to lap swim, instead of beginning the brick at masters at 6am. Just because I can.
- I wonder if I can nap at the ASU-Stanford game tomorrow night if it gets boring. Will Jeff mind if I use him as a pillow?
- Because Sunday morning will start super dark and early when we get up around 4am to drive to Santa Cruz for the Big Kahuna 1/2 IM. Before you start thinking I’m racing – oh no I’m not. My butt will be firmly planted in a chair all day spectating (2nd rest day in one week – thanks Coach!). Steve (super-Alcatraz swimmer) and Nigel (best biking buddy ever) and Jeff formed a relay team for the race so I’ll be out there to cheer them on. My brother and several other friends are racing the whole thing so it should be a good time!
- Did I mention HOLY CRAP I’M DOING AN IRONMAN IN ABOUT 4 WEEKS AND THE TRAINING SCHEDULE IS ALL THERE WAITING FOR ME???!!!!!!
- OK, time to get up and get to work. 1 day at a time and I’ll be ready when it comes.*
*But I do reserve the right to have at least one good meltdown and cry like a baby sometime before the start line.