Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Drip Drip Drip

Thankfully the overhyped wave-after-wave-after-wave of storms did not arrive until I was done with the agility trial over the weekend (it would have made the 100-mile drive back and forth from the trial site extra-miserable).  But finally, several days behind schedule, the rain began early Monday.  Many people are not happy that we’ve had 3 straight days of heavy rain, but I love this sort of weather.  Our too-low reservoirs need the resupply and our hills and forests need a good drenching to lower the danger once fire season hits.  And I’d rather get it all in one big burst than experience the dark winter of 2005-2006 again, where it rained nonstop from November to May.

The view from my home office looked like this today.  And yesterday.  And Monday.

006

It’s hard work drying off and warming up after you get drenched.

002

The main room in our house has a vaulted ceiling and is made up of large beams of wood.  Occasionally in strong windy storms, the flashing near the skylights leaks small drips of water into the house, so we’ve got towels scattered about to catch the puddles.  Around the time Max turned 4 years old, he decided quite suddenly that all the fancy dogbeds I’d bought him had a purpose and he began to sleep on them, as well as rugs, the bathmat, etc.  So today’s drip towels = Max’s bed for the day.

010

The only real casualty of the storm thus far has been a portion of our lemon tree.  In this case, it’s good to have friends who come by and take your lemons home with them.

003

For the most part, the weather has not impeded training.  Jenn wrote about our swim in the rain on Monday.  My bike rides have been all intervals holding various wattages, which is best suited for the trainer anyway.  Sadly, today the streak broke and I missed masters due to the pool being closed – when I arrived to swim, the wind was blowing at 40+mph with pouring rain and I’m pretty sure through the gate I saw whitecaps on the pool.  Three days of rainwater has led to murky and possibly unclean water; hopefully they’ll get it all fixed up soon. 

Without the swim, I still had to get in a short ride, made harder by tired legs from yesterday’s bike/run brick.  Thank you, Rocky IV (25 years since that one came out and WOW I never realized how bad it was when I was little) for keeping me pushing through the workout.  My brother posted this Youtube video the other day on FB and I HAD to Netlfix Rocky IV after that.  Besides just having a good soundtrack and motivating training scenes, it’s a bit amusing to watch and realize how sometimes we get a bit caught up in the numbers, our gadgets, and the high tech part of training (who, me?) and that getting back to basics isn’t a bad thing.   :-)

*splish*splash*  That’s all that’s going on around here.  My masters are summoning me to walk them.  Better go find the galoshes.

008

14 comments:

beardies3 said...

All those beautiful lemons! Num num. Delicious salad dressing, lemonade, sauce, etc etc. Tons of Vit C.

jennabul said...

David liked the lemons by the way. They went great in his beer =). Thanks! I like the rain too, as long as I don't have to go anywhere! But yeah, we do need it desperately, so it's good.

Maria said...

ha ha, dogs are just like kids...you get them a $100 toy and all they want to do is play with the box the toy came in!

D said...

Holy shit. That's some serious rain. Little taste of Vancouver for you guys.

Don't you have indoor pools down there?

Maggs said...

We got some of that this afternoon. The white board with the workout on it blew into the pool. I thought I'd be safe from injury in the pool. I might wear a helmet next workout

ADC said...

Ha ha, we get that view (well the rain anyway) all the time.

ShirleyPerly said...

Wow, look at all that rain!

Glad it hasn't impacted your workouts too much. That tree looks happy :-)

Wes said...

I'm enjoying my bike intervals too... Should be warm enough to ride outside this weekend. Let's hope so!! Thanks for the rain BTW :-)

San said...

oh, how was this song line? "Seems it never rain in california"? Well, that's the thing with songs.

Max and Stan are too cute.

Runner Leana said...

Wow, that is some pretty crazy rain!! And look at those boys...they have such pleading eyes!

Charisa said...

Your lemon tree is so big - beautiful! We are getting tons of rain too :) Glad the dogs are keeping dry!

Lisa T said...

Haha- D thinks we have indoor pools! This is CA! I swam amongst the tree branches in the pool on Tues. Fun!

Marit C-L said...

I love that tree - awesome! :) And for the record - I don't mind the weather either... I was excited to see lightning and thunder yesterday and was hoping for it today as well.

Though your puppies love the rain... I'm sure cleaning them up after they've frolicked in it as a long task! But the fact they love the towels - priceless :)

Rainmaker said...

Wait, how did you never mention you had a lemon tree. That's freakin' awesome. I suggest you send a massive box of them eastward...