Saturday, July 19, 2008

1449

My race # is 1449. Hopefully this sounds like an auspicious number?

Phew! Nothing like checking in for a race with 2000 of your closest friends. Registration for last names from A to M began at 10:30, just a little while before I got there.

Transition opened at 11:00 and by that point I had picked up my numbers, timing chip, shirt, etc and was ready to cruise for a spot. We're racked by age group, but I was the first one to get a spot in W30-34. I got something perfect, right on the end of a row where I can't miss it.

Then I had to wait until 1:00 for the athlete briefing. So I went back and forth to the car putting gear away and then fetching water several times. I shopped (brand new Vineman running visor, Vineman running shirt, Vineman bike jersey, and sunglasses - because I forgot mine at the cottage). I ate (pesto pasta salad). I looked at my spot in transition about five times. I played Tetris on my cellphone for 20 minutes. And finally, the meeting!

Meeting highlights: *The water is 72 degrees. Wetsuit, bay-bee! *I must try not to crash and kill myself at the hard right downhill 5 miles into the bike ride. *Don't pee anywhere along the course except the portajohns (how does this affect the people who pee WHILE biking?). That's about all I picked up...

Now to put race number stickers on everything I own and finish getting things ready for tomorrow...

2 comments:

beardies3 said...

All my positive thoughts are going into 1449. Our beardies will be barking and cheering but that won't distract you from this distance! Enjoy the race!

LadyPatsFan said...

Good luck today! I know you will rock it! I can't wait to read the recap.

You have been nominated for an award. Thank you for a great blog, and for being such an inspiration to me.