Thursday, March 26, 2009

A little planning goes a long way…

Yesterday I had a bike/run brick on my schedule.  I usually do my workouts in the morning.  It has been this way since I started running 3.5 years ago and discovered what happens when you run right after eating a lunch of cherry tomatoes. 

Anyway, yesterday I had to be at work for some meetings and could not get my training done in the morning.  I motored through my day without thinking much about eating and then headed out on the ride when I got back.  There wasn’t a lot of thinking that went into this….

Should I take food on the bike?

Nah, it’s only an hour!

(of hills)

(and I just ate a hollow chocolate bunny, that’s enough, right?)

Should I take water?

Nah, it’s only an hour!

(of hills.  with a 1/2 hour run off the bike afterwards)

Um.  Yeah.  So…I felt OK on the bike.  But I was slower on the run off the bike than usual, a little overheated (did I forget to mention the weather is suddenly warming up?), and a little weak by the end.

It’s not rocket science, kids, but some days…I’m just a moron.

Enter today, where I was barely able to squeeze in masters swim in the dark before dashing to the office for an early morning meeting, leaving me still needing to do a run with hard intervals later in the day.  This time, I actually *thought* about it in advance and planned accordingly.  I ate a couple frozen waffles before swim, I had a Luna bar after swim, I had fruit and oatmeal and juice at the office during my meeting.  I drank a bottle of water and a bottle of sports drink.  After noon, I got home from work, popped into my running clothes and headed out the door.  Despite heat and a LOT of Z3 intervals, I felt great and energetic. 

I even had to drop Jeff back at home partway through the run because he couldn’t keep up with me.

Wow, this whole FUELING thing actually works.  Duh.  Like I said, rocket science….

4 comments:

Marit C-L said...

I know - isn't it amazing what a little bit of the RIGHT stuff will do to us? ZOOM ZOOM! Great job with the workout!

TriGirl Kate O said...

There are MANY MANY days that I look like that polar bear!

ADC said...

yeah, I am not very good at my nutrition either. Would go for hollow chocolate any time.

ShirleyPerly said...

Yep, I've found out the hard way too what happens when you don't fuel your body right. Good job on your workouts!