Saturday, March 14, 2009

S is for Saturday

Swim: I started off the morning with another swim test.  My last one was 8 weeks ago, before I went to tri camp and had my stroke analyzed by Liz and Jen.  (When I saw this on my schedule, I believe I sent Liz an email that went something like “You hate me.  You *really* hate me.  Another friggin swim test?!!”)

Despite the trepidation I felt going into the test, I tried to focus on the task at hand.  I decided to pretend it was another workout at masters and to just work one 100 at a time (the test set is 10 x 100 all out with 0:10 rest between them).  I will not lie – it hurt.  My shoulders hurt, my arms hurt, and I’m pretty sure I threw up in my mouth a little on that last 100. 

Then when I got out of the pool, I was hit on by a one-legged man who liked my Bling Bling Splish.  It took some work to extricate myself from the conversation.

Here is an excerpt of Coach’s comments on my test:

Yet again another fabulous test!  You have dropped ANOTHER 7 seconds from your 100 pace…Since we started you have dropped nearly 20 seconds from your 100 pace. That is quite impressive progress!!!

Yay!

Sun:  Jeff and I went to our first spring training game of the year today. San Francisco played San Diego, though so few people at Scottsdale Stadium actually watch the game it is hard to tell sometimes.

I would rather see the Cubs but that’s all the way in Mesa and we’d have to drive.  It’s much more convenient to walk 2 blocks to see a game (and much easier to stumble home if one has been drinking at the game).

View from the outfield grass

2009_Mar14 002

It gets quite crowded out here

2009_Mar14 003

2009_Mar14 005

Most of the people hang out behind the stands drinking and never even realize there is a game being played!

2009_Mar14 006

Even the standard attire seems very non-sporty to me.  Clearly I am too much of an athlete these days!

2009_Mar14 008

Sushi: The best part of my entire day was saved for this evening!  We went to our favorite sushi place in Scottsdale and stuffed our faces.  Between the two of us, we had uni (sea urchin) nigiri (*gag* this is Jeff’s favorite), ikura (salmon roe) nigiri, unagi (freshwater eel) nigiri, 2 orders of salmon sashimi, shrimp tempura roll, spicy tuna roll, and softshell crab roll.  We mowed everything as fast as our sushi chef could make it.  Here is one plate just moments after arriving.

2009_Mar14 015

Jeff didn’t want to be in any photos but for some reason I was happy to pose with a giant statue in old town Scottsdale.  I blame the beers I had with dinner.

2009_Mar14 017

Sharks: Nearly my final S for the day.  We are watching the hockey game. 

2009_Mar14 022

And then it will be time for…

Sleep.

7 comments:

blondeez said...

That's a full day! I'm jealous of the sun and sushi, but you can keep your swim test. :)

ShirleyPerly said...

Awesome job on the swim test!! I've never done a 100 swim test like that (only 3x300 threshold pace test). But who knows what my coach will tell me to do next week (gulp).

That sushi looks GOOD!

ADC said...

That sushi looks awesome. I have the same Splish - clearly I need to get a swim cap as well. I am so with you on being dressed as an athlete - what has happened to me ????

Trishie said...

wow, nice swim! seven seconds off of a 100 is huge!

Trishie said...

7 seconds off of a 100 is huge! congratulations !

jennabul said...

Nice swim, Molly. You really have come a long way. A little vomit at the end of a set is a qualifier for a good swim, didn't anyone tell you that yet? You are not working hard enough if there isn't a little spit up! Where did you go for sushi? Kyoto? I miss sushi....hope you are having a great Sunday!

TriGirl Kate O said...

Horray for a fabulous swim test! That is excellent!!! Thank you again for driving down to Tucson--it was great seeing you and catching up and introducing you to the second camp group. The only thing that would've made it any better is if you would have ridden with us the next day. HUGS