Monday, August 24, 2009

Exercise and Diet

There have been some interesting news reports lately on exercise and diet…what’s best for losing weight, what’s best for your health, and so on.

Time Magazine did a piece on “Why Exercise Won’t Make You Thin” and it was interesting to see the reactions that varied among my friends.  Some saw the point that they still need to watch calories and focused on that.  My personal reaction was one of disappointment as the author seemed to be suggesting there is no point in exercising for those who want to lose weight, because they will only wind up eating more.  Men’s Health did a nice rebuttal to this article: “Is Exercise a Waste of Time?” 

On the dietary side of things, I’ve been eating a boatload this year but also trying to pay more attention to where my food comes from and what is “in” it.  After reading “In Defense of Food” (the followup to “Omnivore’s Dilemma”) and some other books, I began to take a closer look at what I was buying, what the ingredients were, where it came from, what processed foods I could eliminate, where else I could shop, and how I could transition to more locally grown/raised produce and meat.  Another recent Time article, “Getting Real About the High Price of Cheap Food,” spells out many of the reasons why I’ve been making these changes.

Just some food for thought on a Monday :)

6 comments:

D said...

Here's my food for thought:
Pizza
Chocolate Cake
Fudgesicles

Elayne said...

I heard an interesting interview last Friday on NPR with Michael Pollan and James McWilliams who wrote a book about 'Locavores' and how buying locally isn't always the most green way to go. They didn't really discuss the health aspect of food, it was more about carbon footprint and sustainability but it was interesting nonetheless. Here's the link in case you're interested: http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/200908216

Maggs said...

I think it's all pretty interesting. I tend to mix it up with local and organic, but usually stick to the real food stuffs. I'll let D have the fudgesicles. Ick.

Anonymous said...

I am with you on eating REAL foods. But I also am with the article and exercise does not make you thin. However it makes our bodies stronger, stronger hearts, lungs, minds, etc... Exercise is NOT a waste of time, but it will not make you thin either. You would think with how much we exercise that we could eat whatever we want and while that may be true for you or some it is unfortunately not true for me :( I have to focus on calories in vs calories out. Very simple, but hard to figure out when IM training! Thanks for the post and I hope ART is making you feel better!!! Can't wait to cheer you on at IMAZ :-)

SWTrigal said...

I read that Time piece and thought it was a bunch of hooey!

Stef0115 said...

I've packed on some pounds since starting tri training over two years ago.

AND I love it!

I was too thin before.

I'm with ya on the food thing -- we try to eat the same way and for the most part do well with it.