Saturday, June 26, 2010

Anatomy of a Grooming

By request from Maria, the step-by-step process of grooming one of my dogs.  And I even used the more difficult and hairier one for you!

We started at 9:00 this morning with a dirty, muddy dog who’d been run in the sprinklers on the high school field before breakfast.

001

You can’t do a beardie and not injure yourself without lots of proper tools.  Tool #1: the Booster Bath. 

002

Add irate dirty dog.

003

Apply water.  While it was a warm sunny day here today, I’ve been known to do this in the dead of winter as well.  (They’ve got those thick undercoats for a reason!)

004

Continue application of water until dog resembles angry drowned rat.

005

Apply shampoo and allow to set.

006

Rinse until water runs clear with no hint of shampoo.

008

Duck out of the way to avoid being drenched.

009

Apply conditioner and leave in coat for 5 minutes.

010

When full stinkeye is achieved, rinse until water runs clear.

012

Allow other dog to gloat while watching because it’s not his turn today.

017

Shake water out of coat.

019

Then wring additional water out with a towel.

020

Crate dog under dryer to begin drying process.

022

~90 minutes later: Bring out the BIG dryer (this was a Christmas present from my husband about 5 years ago!).

023

Put dog on grooming table and begin to blast-dry.

025

When outer coat is mostly dry, dog will begin to resemble bearded collie again.  Take note: dog is NOT yet dry.  Time is now needed for undercoat to fully dry out.

028

~3 hours later: Dog is mostly dry and ready for coat to be groomed.  Return to grooming table and lie dog on his side.  Working through one level of coat at time, line brush and comb through the coat.  Pay special attention to areas that are prone to mat: behind ears, in armpits, around groin, and between toes.

032

Finally.  Now, at 4pm, we have a fully bathed, dried and groomed bearded collie.

034

Much happier now that he is off the table!

038

14 comments:

Maggs said...

wow. that's a process. I no longer want a Beardie. A hose in the driveway is enough of a procedure to me. My dogs run and hide if they see the other one being bathed.

Eileen Swanson said...

OMG, I love this!! This is quite a long process! Wow, Stanley let you do all that to him?! Nice! Belle's grooming is much easier. Bathe in a bathtub, shampoo, rinse, towel dry, shake, hang out in sun, brush and viola!! ;-)) Labs are a bit easier.

Melissa said...

Molly...I am tired just reading this. Holey cow.

Diamond Girl said...

Wow!! Your dogs are super beautiful for sure, but I don't think I've ever appreciated Frankie more than I do right now! :)

jennabul said...

Love the stink eye. That was awesome. MMM..clean beardie boy.

Meaghan said...

I kill two birds with one stone and brush the dog entirely out under a stand dryer and finish with a human dryer for the top of the hair. Takes about 1.5 hours to dry completely and when they are dry, they are done!

San said...

Ahahah, absolutely fantastic. I love the evil eyes Stanley gave you. Never would've guessed it takes so much work.

I'll definitely get a Weimaraner with really short hair and no Beardie when I get a dog.

Thank you for illuminating us.

Mary said...

Good lord. I knew long-haired dogs were more work, but I had no idea how much more. I probably shouldn't admit that Jig's five years old and has never had a bath, should I?

heather said...

4:05 - Dog goes out and rolls in something!

LadyPatsFan said...

That is insane! How on earth do you find enough time for all that? I hope you don't have to do it very often. I can't imagine trying to carve out a day per dog all the time. I really appreciate my medium hair, non-competitive mutts a whole lot more now.

Jennifer said...

OMG! What work. But it's worth it as they are lovely dogs!

Maria said...

...AND YOU HAVE A JOB?!?
Good lord, I thought it'd be a 2 or 3 hour process, not an entire day! That is just impressive.
The pictures are just hilarious!
Thank you so much for posting!
I'll be sticking with short haired dogs for the rest of my life, for sure.

Wes said...

wait. did I miss something? You have hairier dogs? :-)

Beth said...

What a crazy process!! I loved the play by play! :)