Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Splash!

I spent today with the trifecta of swim friends – Jenn, Chris and Melissa

First up was an ocean swim this morning with Jenn, her husband David, my aunt Jo, and my friend Mary.  For everyone but me, it was their first ocean swim down in Santa Cruz (and it was my first since last fall).  They all did GREAT!  I was super proud of my ocean newbies (and by the way, since when did *I* become the one to take people out for first time ocean experiences?  Wow, times have changed).  Chilly 53 degree water stopped no one.  Including my husband, who had to get in without a wetsuit because of a drunken dare over the weekend.  They may still be hiding somewhere in his abdomen, but the man has balls.  I wouldn’t get in there without a wetsuit.

001

020

021

After spending the morning working, I met up with Chris for a lunchtime ride.  Chris rode with me all the time last fall during Ironman training but while I’ve been short-course focused this year she’s been off training for the Death Ride doing 10 hour ride days.  It was so good to see her again and remember why we have fun together!  I can’t wait to get her back out in open water once she isn’t spending all her spare time on the bike.

Then after working all afternoon, I visited with Melissa and walked her dog.  She’s recovering from surgery and it was good to finally catch up on current events amongst our friends.  I know she’s eager to get back to the pool once she’s healthy enough!

So in all it was one of those days where I got to see a bunch of good friends and do fun active things – what more could any person ask for?

8 comments:

jennabul said...

Thanks again for today. It was great fun! I actually am looking forward to doing it again *gasp*. Sounds like you had a great day!!!

Maggs said...

Brrrr....53 degrees. Right there is why I'll stay in Hawaii.

Maria said...

53 degrees?? What kind of bet did he lose??
10 hour bike rides DO NOT sound fun, but good for her!

ADC said...

Ha ha I would like Jeff's take on that lovely swim.

Wes said...

I don't think I'da gotten in there WITH a wet suit. Brrrr :-)

Elayne said...

53 degrees, sheesh, I wouldn't get in there with a wetsuit. The Big Kahuna 1/2 IM is on my 'One of These Days' list but I don't know, it's the second time I've seen pix of that harbor on your blog and it's put me right off it. Was sunny and water was in the 70's and smooth as glass out at the Boulder Rez this morning, I think I need to stick with what I know and love.

Kim said...

holy smokes - i bet there was a turtle in hiding once he got in there. BRRR!!!!

Jennifer said...

Wow that is cold! Brrr. But you all look as if you are having such a great time. I would swim in 58F if I only could find some place without all the oil! Cheers!