Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Break Out…The Trainer

Though I’ve had the PowerTap on my bike for about a month, today was essentially Day 1 of power training.  My bike test last week showed that I’m pushing more on the bike than I did back in January and I got a whole new set of HR zones to go along with that.  It also set our baseline power zones to work from.

Today’s instructions were to do this ride ON THE TRAINER. 

But finally it’s so beautiful out (unlike Monday, where I ran my 11.5 miles at 4:30 am before it got hot…) and a nice ride in the valley would hit the spot…

No buts.  I follow my instructions.  Probably a good thing since the main set today was 2 x 12 minutes in my biggest gears holding the power above a certain wattage. 

With the kind of invites I issue, it’s amazing I still have friends…

“Hey, wanna come videotape me swimming?”

“I have to do 3 hours of hilly riding Friday – you up for it?”

This time, Jenn got “I have to do a hard workout on the trainer – want to come over and ride your trainer next to me while I do it?”

Amazingly, she always says yes.  That’s what I like about her :)  I still don’t understand how we didn’t hang out more in high school.  Probably her crazy swim training schedule and the way she sleep-walked her way through 4 years of school.

If I was going to have to make painful intervals on the trainer, I was going to add atmosphere at least!  I set up in the driveway instead of the dark garage (note: we did move the trainers to the shade halfway through the ride when we started baking in the sun) and we even had music (via iPod and speakers).

2009_July1

I owe Jenn a huge thanks for keeping me distracted while plowing through the workout.  There were a few moments where I wasn’t doing a good job holding up my end of the conversation and she filled in nicely.

I get a little rest for the body tomorrow and then I’ve got an OW swim, a short transition run, and bucketloads of riding to fit in this holiday weekend.  With all this riding…I may have some trouble sitting down by the end of Sunday!

13 comments:

GoBigGreen said...

Ooh sounds like a sweet spot wko. Love those:) better outside than in my friend. And super that your friend came to distract you! Have a super weekend Molly, Hope that Jeff feels better soon.

Michelle Simmons said...

OUCH. I think the training on the bike is now gonna get a lot harder for you! :)

D said...

Oh MAN! I wish I had someone to train with. So jealous!!!!

Rainmaker said...

Awesome. Even awesomer that you have a PT, lucky you!

Dualing trainers outside, I know that game. ;)

ADC said...

That is soo cool. Did your neighbours think you were a bit odd.

Missy said...

Take care of that arse! Nice to have a trainer friend because solo is a death march to me. On such a nice day too, ouch.

Jennifer Cunnane said...

You have a beautiful view from your yard! The power based workouts are the best - you will be zooming even faster on the bike in no time! P.S. What did your neighbors think of the crazy triathlete get up?

Lisa T said...

Love the trainers in the driveway!

jennabul said...

It was the "blasting loud music" that got me =). I could only hold up the conversation because I wasn't pushing as hard as you *grin*. You may wish I wasn't with you on those hills tomorrow...lol...it was fun..got my day going!

Runner Leana said...

Wow, Jen is a good friend! Congratulations on getting a tough workout on the trainer done when you would probably have preferred to be riding on the road somewhere instead. I hope you have a fantastic 4th of July!!

ShirleyPerly said...

What a true friend! I don't know anyone who would ride on a trainer on a nice day like that or out where others could see them, lol. Good for you getting it done.

Trishie said...

jenn sounds like a great friend :) great job on the workout !

Charisa said...

LOVE the trainers set up outside!!