Tuesday, July 7, 2009

To Be 14 Again

All through my childhood, I desperately wanted to be older, to be grownup, to be through with the annoyance of adolescence.   Nowadays, there are times where I wish I’d enjoyed that phase a little bit more.  But today, I also had a reminder of why I’d never want to go back and do it again.

Being a 14-year-old girl = DRAMA!!!!!!  I have 3 sisters all turning 14 at various points this year and 2 brothers turning 10 this month.  For the boys’ birthday party, I joined them all at the cabana pool to celebrate today.  There was endless twittering and texting and plotting and whispering over the presence of a boy that one of the girls has a crush on…missions performed back and forth to scout for information…accusations of disloyalty and the whole 9 yards.  ZOMG, it was all too much (though entertaining as a spectator).

Hanging out with my sister Mimi.  She’s the most like me (except for the part where she’s a superstar swimmer) and wants to do an OW swim race I am planning on in September.

2009_July7 003

My brothers Jack and Ryan enjoyed playing with the waterproof camera

2009_July7 005

2009_July7 008

With my 3 sisters (l-r Mimi, Cai and Grace) – I’m still the tallest!!!

2009_July7 016

For D and Marit, sheet cake

2009_July7 015

For $2.99 a day, you can feed an entire starving Vietnamese family. (I have no idea why they mugged for the camera quite like this)

2009_July7 021

In other important news that came out of partying with the family…due to my incessant badgering of them…

MY FAMILY IS COMING TO IRONMAN!

MY FAMILY IS COMING TO IRONMAN!

MY FAMILY IS COMING TO IRONMAN!

MY FAMILY IS COMING TO IRONMAN!

Yay!!!  Now I just have to book a hotel for them and micromanage every step of the way to ensure that they really do show up.

12 comments:

D said...

MOLLY! I'm at the very tail end of that time and you post a pic of cake? Boooooourns!

YAY for the family coming to Ironman!! I'm still holding out hope that I'll be able to come down too. Know any free places to stay? ;)

Rainmaker said...

Awesome to hear that they're showing up for the Ironman. Give the kids a box of chalk and they'll go to town!

ShirleyPerly said...

That is great news!!!

I had no idea you had so many siblings. Very cool to have a strong swimmer in your family. I had a cousin from Japan who was a good swimmer and as a teen she had problems finding clothes to fit her because she had a much bigger upperbody than most of the girls there. Good thing your sis is in the states.

Missy said...

How fun that they will be there...really great news. You'll be so happy that they are there.

Kids, eh, all drama. Who likes who and who is with who and we don't like her, blech...

Michelle Simmons said...

Looks like you have a great family! :)
And yes, the drama of teenage girls... Not sad that's OVER!

ADC said...

Oh, they are so sweet. I remember the DRAMA.

Wes said...

I’m still the tallest!!!

Not for long, evidently :-) Cool that the fam will be there to support you for Ironman. I know that was a huge dealio for me!

Beth said...

Oh man - the drama of being a teenager now new and improved with things like texting, twittering, FB, etc... Good thing they didn't have that stuff when we were teenagers!! :)

Anyway, very exciting news about your family coming to watch your IM!!! Awesome!

jennabul said...

Yay!!! We spectathletes are going to have a GREAT time cheering for you in Arizona! I can't wait! Better book them a room soon...maybe the Scottsdale Embassy Suites?

Clarese said...

This post made me laugh. I love that you are proud to be the tallest among 10 and 14 year olds (but mostly because I can relate!).

Marit C-L said...

Well...you know I'm ALL ABOUT THE SHEET CAKE!!! :) Hooray that the family will be there - I know how special that is. Awesome!

Runner Leana said...

Yay, that is awesome that your family is coming to cheer you on!!!! I'm so happy for you.

Oh, that sheet cake looks good!