Thursday, July 9, 2009

Deep Thoughts..or maybe not

  • The reprogramming of my brain continues.  Swimming with an ankle band is starting to not seem so bad.  Next thing you know I’ll be befriending my captors and taking up arms in their defense.
  • I’m excited for some fun non-triathlon activities in the next few weeks.  A trip to Long Beach for an annual beach party, an agility trial in Carmel and BOTH dogs get to run, a slumber party with my little sisters.  No shortage of cool stuff going on!
  • Sports massage = ow.  I knew this already but cleaning up my legs after Big Bike Week (and some continued post-Boise work) was excruciating.  I thought flushing my quads out was bad until we hit a tight knot in my calf (cue *weeping and gnashing of teeth*).  For the record, there are only so many times you can repeat “it’s good for me” and grip the edges of the massage table while pain-induced sweat pours down your face.
  • On the subject of things that are good for me but hurt like hell…power intervals on the bike.  At one point today, I wondered if I would need Marit’s special bowl.
  • Distractions can be useful.  Jenn played music and amused me while she rode alongside me on her patio (she was probably starting to feel quite thankful she doesn’t own a PowerTap based on how I looked after the first few intervals).  2009_July9 002
  • Hard miles run off the bike…are going to be hard.  When I first saw this workout, my first thought was, “Seriously? Can I do that?”
  • I did it.2009_July9 003 I did wish for the bowl again afterwards though.
  • Le Tour has been very exciting to watch this year.  This is the most I’ve ever paid attention to strategy, standings, and each stage, and it is all fascinating me. 
  • Good luck to folks racing this weekend!  Rhode Island 70.3, the infamous Death Ride, and more, I’m sure.  Rock it, folks!
  • I’m getting really really REALLY excited for Barb’s Race 1/2 Iron in just 3 weeks and 2 days.  All the frustration from Boise is fueling my desire to get out there and spank a race course hard!  With so many friends and even my dad racing on the same course, it will make for an awesome day.  But first…more pain in training :)

6 comments:

ADC said...

You look pretty comfortable out there.

Wes said...

Huh... I guess I don't want a power tap after all. Tell Jeff its over....

Marit C-L said...

Happy training - YEA! Never, EVER underestimate the magical bowl. Its there for a reason... ;)

GREAT JOB - keep up the awesome work, Molly! YES YES YES about Barb's race - go get 'em! Keep it up! :)

GoBigGreen said...

Think HOW STRONG you are getting mentally as well as physically! the TDF is awesome. I have a mini let down when its over bc i come from 2 weeks of Wimbleon to 2 weeks of TDF and then....Umm...football? ick. (sorry those that love it)

Jennifer Harrison said...

yay, great pics, LMM. I am so excited to hear about your great race in 2 weeks....REDEMPTION!! :)

ShirleyPerly said...

You've pretty much nailed why I don't want a Power Tap :-)

Look forward to hearing about Barb's Race. Many folks have been talking about it or Vineman next year and it might be just the ticket I need to return to Cali for a visit.