Weeks left till race day, that is.
Another big training weekend in the bag and I’m pleased but slightly fried while writing this (so excuse me and the 2 margaritas I may or may not have had before blogging for the week).
My longest training week ever was…totally awesome! While I am looking forward to a little rest coming up, I’ve been feeling great all week and loving the big workout days.
Today was no exception. I was up at 4:45 am to eat my “pre-race" breakfast (english muffin with egg) and get ready for a long day. After walking and feeding the dogs, I headed out with the Best Husband Ever (what else can you call someone who gives up Football Sunday to chase you around on a bike for 6 hours?) by 5:45am for a little ride around town. Or multiple counties.
When we arrived in Hollister, it was 54 degrees, foggy and misting heavily. Fiona was fully loaded with liquids but it seemed the sky was giving us plenty of them already!
After waiting for it to get light enough for cars to see us in the thick fog, we were off. The first 90 minutes looked something like this.
So what if there was water dripping off my helmet and nose and hands. At least we were having fun. Right, honey?
At the turnaround point in San Jose where I’d parked my car (we drove Jeff’s car to the start) with a cooler full of water, Gatorade, etc to refill our bottles. It was finally sunny!
Jeff: “My view for the whole ride”
Highlights from the day:
* Fixing my flat tire. It was kind of fun now that I’ve practiced!
* Peeing on the side of the road in 4 cities and 2 counties. I guess I was well-hydrated?
* Jeff’s comment as he pulled alongside me at the 82-mile mark: “My ass is killing me. My balls are killing me. I have to pee. And I think I have a rash.” This is why we really stopped for that McDonalds potty break at 84 miles.
* Riding 97.3 miles and still feeling pretty good at the end!
* Running 3.55 miles off the bike in 90-degree heat to finish off the workout. Not pretty, not fun, but Ironman training can’t always be either.
Training totals for week 39 (September 14-20):
Swim: 6050 yards
Bike: 157.1 miles
Run: 25.0 miles
Total time: 16.25 hours
I’m very excited for the coming week. I have a REST WEEK – WOOHOOOOOO – AND I will be making my 1st-ever trip to Georgia to root on some awesome friends at the inaugural Augusta 70.3!