Sunday, March 27, 2011

I don’t know whose legs these are

but I’m not giving them back.

I won’t complain if this ends up being my refrain for the year :-)

It simply doesn’t make sense that after a long tough bike/run yesterday, 6 hours of driving, getting to bed late at 11:30pm, up by 5:30am (thanks dogs), another 4.5 hours of driving this morning (oh how this kills my knees and tightens my calves), unloading 2+ weeks of luggage, doing the laundry, sorting the mail and unpacking…

I would go out and throw down a 9+ mile run that started out fairly fast and negative-splitted the rest of the way from there?  Nope, sure wouldn’t have expected that one!

Clearly whatever I’m doing is working.

It’s interesting to look at past years when considering what to expect for this year.

2007- My first year of triathlon, aka How to Survive Sprint Triathlons Without Knowing How to Swim

2008 – Included my 1st Olympic distance race and my 1st 1/2IM but I can safely say I still didn’t really swim

2009 - The year I got serious about swim training (masters).  LOTS of basic form work and strength building just to get me to the point of being able to finish an IM.

2010 – Continuing focus on getting stronger as well as bringing out some short-course speed

2011 – So far, this sure feels like the first year of big girl training, aka the year I’m finally strong enough to take on the hard stuff (and the year I know how to manage recovering from it well enough to keep on taking it).  I can’t wait to start racing and see how it all plays out!!!!

11 comments:

Beth said...

Very excited for you!! All that hard work kicking in! :)

Stef0115 said...

So impressed by your dedication and constant up leveling your game.

KUDOS! and CONGRATS! Oh and celebrate!!! Honestly after following your blog these last 2-3 years I'm not surprised to see all of your progress including a great 9+ mile run after all that travel, etc.

I truly admire your get up and GO!

Teresa said...

Love when hard work shows! Keep it up!

tn

mtanner said...

Awesome job Molly! I think the more time invested in this sport, the bigger the return! Keep on doing it...

Anonymous said...

Wow, awesome progress over the years! This helps me put my year 2 into perspective :-)

Michelle Simmons said...

I have a similar story from this weekend... like I should NOT have been able to negative split my run today. But I did and it was a no-brainer. Love me that e21. I'm living on that stuff these days.

sallyaston said...

So happy for you! The hard work and consistency are paying off! Here's to a greatrace season! :-)

Wes said...

I think there's some kind of 3-4 year window where all that hard work is really paying off. Now, if I could just transfer this to the bike! I'd be uber happy, instead of just ecstatic!

elizabeth said...

It's such a process, isn't it? You are getting SO strong this year and I am SUPER excited for you :)) KEEP IT UP Molly!!

Liz Waterstraat said...

I read somewhere that it takes 7 years to develop your potential in a sport. Your journey has only begun! And, I think that means you're stuck with me for another few years :)

Alili said...

Awesome work Molly! Excited to see what the year has in store for you. :)