Wednesday, November 2, 2011

It Takes A Village

Another reason I am so happy to have reached the taper - Ironman training feels like the most self-absorbed thing you can do.  All this me me me time planning the workout, making up bottles, cleaning up after working out, recovery eating...and then all that time spent alone doing the workout.  It's enough to get sick of being in my own head!

These first few days of taper have been nice just to get a handle on all the crazy stuff going on at work, try to catch up on what happened over the last week or two with friends, and attempt to nail down everything for the trip to Arizona.  Oh dear, the prospect of packing up an Ironman's worth of gear makes me want to cry.

Even though so much of Ironman is alone time, I can't truly do it without the support of my husband and training partners, but also by the camaraderie of friends, even ones I can't train with in person due to distance.  The daily Facebook chatter and texts with Lisa and Jen help keep our nervous energy in check - we are all so damn excited to get on with this thing!   *clap*clap*

I'm also SUPER excited to see Alex and Susan again, as we all tackled our first IM at AZ 2 years ago and signed up again last year.  It just means more in this journey to do it together!

So anyway...yep, this is taper - a whole lot of energy and anxiety and worrying about what is to come.  2nd time around and there's no mystery about how hard the race is.  Just planning and waiting...

7 comments:

Christi said...

Enjoy the taper!

Jennifer Harrison said...

YES! You know I agree! I need to put myself in a TIME OUT after this IM, lol :)) ENJOY that taper! See you soon.

Jen said...

I (heart) you too M McM!

Freementia said...

I know you'll do amazing. Pack early and get it over with so you can sit back and relax.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to get the life back. I know what you mean. Even though Alex and I often train together we are going at different paces so I spend a lot of time alone as well.

Karen said...

Enjoy the taper! Can't wait to hear about the race :)

Runner Leana said...

I so agree!!! Welcome to the taper!