Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Big Game

Yes, there’s a big game on TV today.  But the big game I’m thinking of?  It’s the one that goes on in our heads.  The mental game. 

It’s no secret this training block scared me a little when I first saw it on my schedule.  It’s not the biggest I’ve ever done or the biggest I’ll ever do (hello, Ironman training).  But it’s big for me in January/February.  And here IS a secret I haven’t shared about this 3-week block: there’s no rest day.  I’ve had light/recovery days but I’ve done at least one workout every single day and will continue to do so for another week.  That made me nervous!

It would be  easy to make excuses, to opt for sleep some mornings over dragging myself out of bed for another workout.  To say I am too tired or sore.  To tell my coach I really need that rest day.  Instead I’ve been enjoying the challenge – no, LOVING the challenge – and making it my personal mission to use every recovery tool at my disposal to be ready for the next item on the schedule.  Compression clothing, quality sleep, pre and post workout nutrition planned in advance, good hydration, healthy diet, the best supplements – the works!

As a result, I’m having a blast and learning a little something about myself at the same time.  I wish I could send a giant WOOHOO with every bit of data I upload into Training Peaks.  I CAN do this!  I can push and push again and not hold back for fear of failure later.  January/February training may not make or break my race season, but it is breaking new ground when it comes to my confidence!

I will post photos and fun from our quick AZ trip separately.

10 comments:

Andy said...

I think we all get a little intimidated when we take a gander at a whole block training at one time. Just take it one day at a time, and if your training schedule is anything like mine, your next block of training will be over before you know it. Will have to check out training peaks as I need to get a bit more organized with my training :) Sounds like they do good things!

mtanner said...

LOVE THIS Molly! Keep on keeping on!

Anonymous said...

Wow, nice job back at ya! So great that your coach won't let you get stuck in any perceived limitations. You are going to see some big gains this year. Awesome!

Michelle Simmons said...

YES! So cool when you find out that your limits are not where you think they are. ;)

Stef0115 said...

Very impressive!!!!!!

Melissa said...

Awesome Molly! Sounds like you are doing a great job! 2011 is going to be a big year!

San said...

This sounds amazing. Well done and keep going.

ADC said...

Hey, that is AMAZING!!! keep up the great work.

Marci said...

Very motivating post!! I think sometimes we need to take a rest day, but sometimes we can embrace the challenge of pushing through! Good work!

Jeff Teale said...

Great attitude Molly!! You're going to rock this year!