Monday, June 22, 2009

Lessons Learned from IM CDA

It was a crazy weekend of spectating and seeing good friends at CDA.  I don’t have much in the way of photos because it was far too busy…but there are a few.

#1: Use layovers to your advantage.

A 2.5 hr layover in Salt Lake City on the way out turned into a chance to stretch my legs at elevation with Kirsten and her dogs on a lovely creek hike.

2009_June21 011

#2: When going Ironman, go BIG.  (Or, when in Idaho, go white trash…)

2009_June21 012

#3: Shine on and smile even if you’re nervous.

2009_June21 018

#4: Ironman swim start = scary stuff. 

I’m actually glad AZ is a water start.

2009_June21 021

#5: I am officially too old to just crash on someone’s couch.

Somewhere along the way, I became a princess about my sleep.

#6: Meredith and D are awesome to spectate with.

It was a cold, tiring and wet day.  Having friends to commiserate with while we waited to see our athletes again made it better.

#7: Cupcakes are fucking heavy.

You laugh, but my arms feel like someone beat them with a baseball bat.  I directly attribute this to 5 hours spent walking around the run course carrying 10 pounds of cupcakes (and sometimes, shielding them from the rain with an umbrella).

#8: My friends are utter rock stars. 

There were so many high moments in the day, seeing them smile their way through the tough course and revel in the finish line.  I thought I was all cried out but…

#9: Delta Airlines fucking sucks.

I got to the airport this morning, only to be told they had eliminated my flight from the schedule and oops no one told you?  Given the total booked-up nature of all flights out of Spokane due to Ironman, 20 minutes of searching led us to the only available option.  Spokane –> Minneapolis –> San Jose.  And so begins my cross-country adventure in order to get home.

#10: I can make anything fun.

In the spirit of what my friends cheerfully suffered yesterday, I am making the most of my little trip today – stocking up on books and snacks and determined to enjoy a day on airplanes.

I do look forward to finally getting home to my bed and my family.  And back to training tomorrow!

5 comments:

D said...

I WISH I was getting home today. I really miss my condo and my kitties. Ok, gonna cry... clearly I need a nap.

It was definitely fun to be out there with you guys too.

And as simple as it is, this blog post is the best ever. Maybe it's a "you had to be there" kinda thing :)

Wes said...

#7: Cupcakes are fucking heavy.

Next time, ship half of them to me. See! I cut the weight in half for you already :-)

Runner Leana said...

Can't believe they didn't tell you about the flight. Airlines...grr... Oh well, Minneapolis is a half decent airport for a layover. Safe travels!

SWTrigal said...

Oh...my...god...are you kidding me? You went from spokane to Minneapolis to SJ? All I can say is good thing your big race of the month was not this one..that is awful! But how lucky your friends were to get those cupcakes!

Meredith said...

Ahhh, I <3 you too!! Can't wait to hang again in October!!