Saturday, October 15, 2011

It's Getting Hot In Here

Friday night we gathered for a big dinner before our crazy Saturday of training.

Some people are a little difficult when it comes to ordering food.  Our poor waiter...

It was so good to hang out with a group of women that eat A LOT :-)

Saturday morning started bright and early with an open water swim race at Tempe Town Lake.

 From there it was time to ride LONG.  In retrospect, on a day that offered record-breaking heat in the desert, we probably should have skipped the swim and started riding at 5:30am.

Because even though it was beautiful, it was painfully hot before long.

Jen and I rode together all day.  I could not have asked for a better person to share a total meltdown with :)

Early and still happy-ish

The fountain in Fountain Hills was not on

Sightseeing in Tonto National Forest

End of paved road

Not too long after that, I had a bit of a meltdown on a long climb (Jen said Cranky Molly has arrived).  It was 100 degrees, we'd been in the sun for hours, and I was melting.  We found the nearest convenience store and filled up on water and I pounded a Coke.  Wheee, instant sugar/caffeine rush = happy chatty Molly!

From there we pretty much hit a gas station every hour to fill our bottles with ice and water.  It was stupid hot out.  As in we were stupid to be riding long in it.

Eventually it was Jen's turn to get cranky and need a stop.  I was happy to oblige and we got to see all the sights of the gas station on the reservation until we were ready to face the heat again.

So much salt on our faces, you could probably read our fortunes in the patterns.

Thank goodness tomorrow is a lighter day - we will be getting our work done EARLY.

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

I know hot and cranky. Good that you had a pal to get through it all! Even the pictures look like it's hot! Rest up today. Cheers!

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

Way to hang in there! Hope you took your e21 every hour in that heat! And, for those of us crazy people that live in this… We're actually considering this "cool" and sleeping in. I'm starting my 2.5hr brick this am a little after 7 :-) Praying for cooler temps next week!

Lora Abernathy said...

Oh my gosh, what a day. Looks like the scenery was spectacular, though.

GoBigGreen said...

Oh so jealous. I rode in full leg/winter jacket and shoe covers. Nonot toe covers, full shoe covers:) Enjoy it for me Molly!

Wes said...

Sightseeing in Tonto National Forest

sounds like fun, but where is the forest? :-)

nice work crankster.

Anonymous said...

LOL I like what Krista said, she is spot on!! I know that salty look all too well. :D Nice work Molly, those are some hard core miles to log in your bank!

Larissa said...

I feel the same way...love az but hate the heat! :)

Aimee said...

Wow...I can't believe you guys rode in that heat!!!
How was the swim at TTL???

Jen said...

Cranky Molly is way better than Cranky JH :) That poor waiter.

Boy. I really look pissed at that last gas stop.