Sunday, April 5, 2009

Awe

To put it mildly, I’m simply in awe of the company I keep.  My friends flat-out rocked their race courses this weekend. 

Oceanside: Every single one of the age-grouper friends I mentioned in the last post placed top 10 in their age group.  How amazing is that?!  Marit picked up a Kona slot (and she hasn’t even done her first Ironman – coming later this year) along with 2nd in her AG!

New Orleans: Again, so proud of so many strong performances in this race.  Andrea, in her first 1/2 IM, nailed a sub-6-hour race in her home city.  (She also really has me thinking about signing up for next year, and I haven’t been giving any thought to next year before this!)

In addition to feeling a bit of envy at everyone who got to race this weekend (*reminds self that I have a long year and will get my chance to race before too long*) I am so impressed with how fast my peers are.  I can’t help but feel a bit inadequate by comparison.  I hope everyone isn’t laughing too hard at my race results later this year.

In between obsessive internet spectating of the two big races this weekend, I was wrapping up another build phase and finishing some important workouts to prepare for racing.  I ran 11+ miles on Wednesday and my legs carried that baggage into the rest of the week’s training.  Today I finished up the week with a hard bike/run brick that involved hard intervals on the ride and some definite pushing on the run off the bike.  The good news was my legs really like to be speedy off the bike! (The bad news, they were sure tired on the bike!)

Next up is a taper week and the need to put a race plan together.  As much as I’ve been obsessing about racing in my dreams lately (in the latest installment, I had no legs on the run – literally they were going numb, falling off, something strange like that – and it took me over 3 hours to finish a sprint tri), this should be fairly straightforward! 

Training totals for week 15 (March 30-April 5):
Swim: 6100 yards
Bike: 50.9 miles
Run: 21.1miles
Strength: 50 minutes
Total time: ~10.75 hours

(plus 4.5 hrs of yoga)

5 comments:

D said...

Here's a second to feeling inadequate. I feel so blessed to have them all in my life, but damn! :)

At least you and I are devoted to hockey. None of these fasties can say that ;)

Marit C-L said...

Oh Molly - thank you for the support, it means so much... NEVER EVER EVER feel inadequate, EVER! Life isn't about the results or who goes where - its about the journey, the process, enjoying the lessons, learning, and being happy. When I finally figured this out, I improved! Go out and race your own race, be happy, and do your best! You'll succeed beyond what you thought possible. I promise! You're already well on your way! :)

ADC said...

And here is a third to feelign inadequate too. But I love what I do and I love having that smile on my face when I race. I guess that I what it's all about.

Eileen Swanson said...

Molly you will get your chance to shine soon and YOU WILL! I just know it. You are putting in the hard work and it will pay off. Lots of friends kicked serious butt this past weekend for sure. So cool to see!!

Michael said...

You have put together great training blocks the last couple of weeks, and should feel more than ready to race! Remind yourself that you only just started and how much you have already improved - you will do great!