Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Uncertainty

I have a Type A personality.   I'm sure you had no idea, right?  I like to have all my ducks in a row, all my boxes checked, blah blah blah.  Uncertainty is not my friend. 

That said, I've learned to relax a bit and let myself be surprised sometimes.  It is possible to not plan everything and still be successful.  I can hear my husband laughing at this already.  (He has, in fact, been one of the best influences on my obsessive-planning personality by being the complete opposite.)

But a great period of uncertainty is upon us.  Hockey season ends in a week and a half.  My team is going to the playoffs.  That means for the next 2 months, I can't commit to anything in advance (beyond the races I already have scheduled and of course training and work) because we will only know the game schedule one round at a time (meaning probably only one or two weeks at a time).

It's very exciting but also a little nerve-wracking if you are trying to plan any other aspect of life around it.  My friend Jenn is finishing nursing school and not sure if her graduation party will conflict with a game.  When we got married in 2007, we ascertained that our wedding date was the last possible date a Stanley Cup final game could be played on.  If our team had gone to the finals and played a Game 7 on that day, we would have moved the ceremony time up and driven the 3 hours home in time for the game.  Really.

It will be quite fun over the next ~10 days to watch the last regular season games play out and see which other teams squeak into the postseason.  I have a feeling it's going to be an entertaining year of good matchups.  I'm going to focus on the fun aspect and try not to stress too much about what *might* be, like the one night I planned to be away from home for an agility event in May or what-if there is a game the night before a race (duh, I'm going to the game of course).   Just don't be offended if I can't commit to anything with you in advance :)

5 comments:

Missy said...

My everything revolves around already paid for football tickets...I totally understand!

jennabul said...

I will not be offended, mainly because I will be doing the same thing!!! Like I said, it could be a joint - Graduation/Playoff Game party...and I would understand if you can't attend because you are at a game, because hockey is more important....=)

Diamond Girl said...

Gee, my schedule is free and clear for the next few months. Don't you wish you were a Coyotes fan?

Good luck to your Sharks. Since my team NEVER makes the playoffs, I'll be rooting for you guys. I love hockey playoffs!!

D said...

Are you Canadian because I'm pretty sure this isn't appropriate American behaviour. :)

GoBigGreen said...

oh yes it is! This was me last two Wild seasons: it wasn't "sorry no sitter" it was "sorry Wild game,"
rich's son worked for the Wild so it was a family "deal!"
now we are letting go of our season tickets and the time is right. Enjoy it Molly. I get it!