Saturday, April 18, 2009

Tierra Bella

Jeff, George, Nigel, my dad and a few other riding friends were all doing the Tierra Bella 100k ride today (last year we did our first 100-miler there), so I thought it would be the perfect venue for my planned ~60-mile ride. 

tb08-all-profile

My only picture from the ride was right before we left!  After that I was too busy hammering away to pull out my camera again.  Here, Chris walked right into one of my dad’s jokes.

2009_Apr18 003

Highlights and Lowlights:

  • The guys missed some green arrows 3 miles into the ride and led us a couple miles off-course before we backtracked.  Bonus mileage?!
  • After that, Chris and I took off on our own.  As it turned out, one of the guys got a flat tire, so we didn’t see them again until the end.
  • The Infinit worked out well!  It turned out a concentrated bottle tasted better and I was able to sip a serving every 15 minutes like clockwork.
  • My hill climbing is improving!  The climb to Gilroy Hot Springs (the biggest one on the profile map) felt much easier than in the past.
  • I got my assigned mileage done in under the time required!
  • I still had a gearing problem – one of my middle gears kept skipping and needs to be corrected.
  • We have apparently begun a heat wave!  It was 85 by the end of the ride today and I should have taken in more fluids to compensate.
  • My brick run was not pretty as a result.

After the ride and run, it was naturally time for recovery: FOOD.  We all went to the nearby El Toro Brewpub in Morgan Hill.  I was mostly still focused on rehydrating and had a lot of water.  I was still nursing the same glass of beer when we left; everyone else had polished off multiple pitchers. 

My dad, who had trained to do the 100-miler and changed events recently, was glad to be done with the ride! [See that nice bike jersey I had made for his birthday with his company logo?]

2009_Apr18 004

Andrew and Nigel have a lot of pitchers over there…

2009_Apr18 005

Chris, with George, kept me trucking today!

2009_Apr18 006

We. Are. TIRED.

2009_Apr18 009

Got home, unloaded our gear, walked the dogs, stuffed ourselves with sushi, and spending the rest of the evening in front of the TV doing NOTHING.  I have a feeling I will be asleep by 9pm!

7 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Great job Molly! Fantastic work today - YEA for all the climbing - super stud you are!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle Simmons said...

Sounds like a great day! Congrats on getting it done!

I've been curious about the infinit... might have to try that.

ADC said...

Nice one! Some great climbing. Well done.

Andrea said...

Looks like you got a little color/sun! Lucky! :)

Glad you had a good ride. Keep up the good work!

Clarese said...

You guys rock!!

TriGirl Kate O said...

Do tell about the infinit! Glad it worked for you. Oh happy day--a ride, a beer, and bed by 9!

Jen said...

Oh DEAR! I WAS really enjoying your blog...until...

A - S - WHO?

Please tell me that the love of your life is NOT and ASU fan.

It is against a Tucsonian's religion to read a blog that has ASU jerseys on it :)

U of A
U of A
U of A