Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Jitters?

Tapers are a funny thing.  A little decrease in training volume opens up way too much free time for your brain to go exploring.  Every minor ache and pain and twinge is open for debate and fixation. 

Today I had an easy run on tap, so I went out and cruised around the neighborhood, no problem.  Changed clothes and dashed off to a bikram yoga class – I figured I was only going once this week and today would be the right day to stretch everything out and have it feeling great by Saturday.  After yoga, I dropped my bike off at the bike shop for a tuneup (*a pox* on the men in my life for neglecting to mention that the bike shop was MOVING and that they would be closed all week until today because of the aforementioned – not-mentioned-to-me – MOVE).  With any luck, I will have it back before the race. 

And then I needed to get to the pool in time for a short swim.  But I didn’t feel like it.  I didn’t really have a good reason but for probably the first time ever I sought Liz’s permission to skip the swim.

“Already ran but am kinda tired and achy and slept on my shoulder funny so it hurts - swim or bail on swim?”

And then 8 minutes later, I sent this one: “Or I could do the swim tomorrow?”

And then 3 minutes after that: “Or I could suck it up, get over myself and go do it today.”

Poor Liz, by the time she emailed me back to say just bail on it, I was already in the pool.  And it went fine.  And I am glad I went.  But annoyed with myself for the stoopid mental games my brain is playing.  Gee, can you imagine how fun I’m going to be by the time my Ironman taper begins?

In other happenings, Stanley and Max and I are competing in an agility trial on Friday.  Our first since December or January, I think.  Eeek!  Baby Stan will only have one run but Max has a busy day ahead.  I will be bundling myself up to stay warm, bringing lots of healthy food, and staying off my feet at all times when not running a dog in the ring. 

It might seem like a lot in one weekend but on a Molly scale, it’s really not - last April, I…

THAT was a crazy – but successful – weekend.  This one, I will be taking simply one day at a time.  Thursday – simple day of eating right and resting, work, some enforced relaxation at the spa, and agility class with Stanley.  Friday – my goal is to have fun with each dog and as always work on improving our individual performance.  Saturday – my goal is to have fun and execute my race plan as intended (and hopefully get Jenn to yell Sharks score updates at me during the race).  Sunday – REST, recover, and enjoy some unscheduled time with my boys.

12 comments:

Missy said...

OH, Vineman ... what a great area for a great race. I did the 70.3 there a few years back. What a ball we had. Thanks for the reminder, I gotta get back there.

I hate the twitchy legs I get from a taper, they ache and twitch at nite. The Jimmy Leg. BUT I DO like the rest part.

ADC said...

Spa is all I remember. Spa!!!! Enjoy it and have fun at the race.

Andrea said...

Good luck this weekend Molly! We'll be cheering for you!

TriGirl Kate O said...

I've got a line on a place for a girl's weekend for Vineman '10. I think it'll be FUN FUN FUN!!! Have a good down week--you'll do great at your race this wknd!!!

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

Just wait until IRONMAN taper - you are in for a real treat :-)

Best of luck this weekend, your hardwork WILL payoff!

Rainmaker said...

I hear ya on tapers - feeling oddly tired and everything else. Good luck this weekend!

Sherry said...

Good luck this weekend, Molly. I'll be thinking about you! Good luck to you and the pups too! Exciting stuff!

LittleRachet said...

You are gonna do GREAT this weekend!!! Good luck! Can't wait to hear how you do!!! :P

Michelle Simmons said...

Good luck this weekend! I always think rest weeks are a good time to just shut your brain off. Don't you just wish we could flip the switch sometimes?

beardies3 said...

You go girl!!!!
Wishing you a fun weekend with lots of incentives along the way.

Jennifer Harrison said...

GET IT Little MISSY MOLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! :) You have been working so hard, now go and celebrate!

ShirleyPerly said...

I agree that taper time can really drive one nuts. Which is one reason I haven't done much of it, really, the past few years. This year will be different - yikes!