Friday, May 8, 2009

Im-aaaaa-gin-A-a-tion

25 years since I went to Disneyworld/Epcot and I still can get that song stuck in my head...

Imagination, imagination.


A dream can be a dream come true,


With just that spark in me and you.



So it's no surprise to those who know me that I have quite the overactive imagination. The product of too many scifi movies at a young age or something like that. It's a blessing and a curse, depending on how you look at it. I can visualize success for a race like nobody's business. I can also...overthink some workouts occasionally :)

Take today's swim test. I had swim test dreams. All. Night. In some of them I was swimming in a pool of jello, literally. In one I was at a tri camp with Liz and trying to do my swim test while she watched me. In a pool 1 foot deep. I kept dragging myself along the bottom of the pool and wondering if she was going to criticize the stroke corrections I had to make.

In the last dream I had, she told me to just skip the test and not worry about it. When I woke up, I had to spend several minutes thinking about if I was supposed to turn off the alarm, go back to sleep, and skip the test or if I had imagined the whole thing. Sometimes, it's hard to tell.

The point is, a whole lot of drama for a 50-minute workout that showed 4 seconds improvement (per 100 yds). Sometimes I am too much for myself.

Max, Stanley and I are settled into our hotel in Carson City for the weekend's agility trials. We had a lovely 4.5 hour drive up here. The boys and I did make one special stop along the way - at the trailhead to Lake Margaret. At roughly 8,000 feet of elevation, there is still snow on the ground there and I figured the boys could use a romp in their favorite form of water. I also had a sentimental reason for stopping, as Lake Margaret is where Jeff proposed to me in August 2006! I can't show you any photos I took with my camera because I managed to forget the USB cable at home. One crappy Blackberry shot of the snow along the road though...

8 comments:

LittleRachet said...

Another 4 sec is great!!! Congrats!!

Missy said...

4 sec/100y is a huge improvement! I dream like that too, fine line between dream and reality. It's hard sometimes.

Marit C-L said...

I'm laughing because I do the EXACT same thing before swim/bike/run tests. Seriously. Yep on the overly-active imagination.

HOOORRRRAAAAYYYY! 4 seconds per 100 is huge! Super cool!!!

Great pictures... I love car trips - especially when the terrain really varies.

Trishie said...

Great job on the improvement! I also have a crazy imagination --- I used to have two imaginary friends - Mimi and Debbie. ha!

I also dream non stop about racing, training, etc. Often I'm on a marathon course and I'm lost.

Jennifer Harrison said...

4" is super! Loved this: "sometimes I am too much for myself." HAAAAAA. I say that about myself too. And, FWIW, I get freaked out on my swim tests too and I rarely do them anymore, b/c well....all that work for 1/2 of a second improvement per 100 or so? Dumb. But, it is all the same and that is good b/c it means you take it all seriously!! :)

ShirleyPerly said...

Congrats on your swim test! I'd love to have another 4 sec off my 100 time!!

Runner Leana said...

The Figment ride used to be my favorite! Sadly the song is different and the ride has totally changed now... :(

Great improvement too by the way!

Sherry said...

Ya know... the Imagination ride is still open at Epcot AND they still play the "Imagination" song while you're riding through... and I STILL sing outloud to it! :o)

GREAT job in the swim test! A four second improvement in the water is nothing to balk at. It is a HUGE deal! :o) Way to go!